Revitalisation of EC1
Revitalisation of EC1 and converting the complex for the needs of cultural and artistic purposes
The subject of the project is an investment whose aim is to revitalise the post-industrial buildings of the former EC1 heat and power plant located in the centre of Łódź, which is of significant architectural and historical value.
The main tasks of the project include:
- Renovation and modernisation of post-industrial buildings, as well as their conversion to new functions;
- Developing the public space of the revitalised areas.
Modern cultural units such as The National Centre for Film Culture (EC1 East complex) and the Centre for Science and Technology (EC1 West) are to be located in the EC1 buildings.
Goals of the project:
- Revitalisation of the post-industrial buildings of the former EC1 heat and power plant located in the centre of Łódź, the capital city of the Voivodeship, which are of significant architectural and historical value, and conversion of them so that they can fulfil new functions.
- Restoring the architectural and spatial layout of the centre of Łódź.
- Regaining, for the residents of Łódź and the region, areas located in the city centre whose technical conditions excluded any usage for public purposes.
- Economic and social recovery of the degraded areas by the introduction of new functions for the revitalised buildings from the fields of culture and education.
- Creating an infrastructural base for new cultural and educational institutions presenting and promoting achievements in science, art and film.
- Creating a modern centre in Łódź with a varied range of events and festivals.
- Extending the level of tourist attractions for the city, both for the residents of Łódź and the region, as well as increasing the number of tourists visiting Łódź.
Term of project implementation: 2008 – 2015
Entities implementing the project:
- Investment Bureau at the Department of Property Management of the City of Łódź Office;
- "EC1 Łódź – City of Culture" cultural institution in Łódź.